Sunday, December 1, 2013

Here Comes the Sun

Today I'm inspired by: Yellow

When I got my first apartment, I was most excited about the prospect of painting my bedroom. The ability to pick whatever color I wanted felt so freeing and adult (these are the things design nerds get excited by, I suppose).

I spent the entire summer before moving in debating over what color I wanted before eventually settling on a creamy and inviting shade of yellow. I loved that yellow room––even with the lights off it was still bright. With the sun shining through my window it was like living inside a cozy yellow cupcake (if such a thing I was possible, I would be living inside a cupcake right. now.).

Yellow is such a versatile color, and its actually very easy to seamlessly incorporate a little burst of sunshine into any room in your house.

Inspire Bohemia
This rug is so cheerful and fun. Other pops of yellow throughout the space tie everything together, while the use of neutrals for the rest of the room tones down the general feel and keeps things sophisticated.

BHG
This is a great example of how to play with pops of color. Most of the main pieces in this room––from the window treatments to the chairs to the art on the walls––are yellow, but because they are a mix and match of different shades and patterns, the room feels cohesive, not overly-styled.

All Things Chic
Another great example of how well yellow works with greys and other neutral shades. 

Avalon Jacksonville Beach
Coastal chic at its finest. The yellow island is just so effortless and fun, and the hint of yellow on the window treatments offers some continuity, as do the other bursts of brightness throughout the room.

Fashion Muse
I wish I had a fireplace just so I could paint it this sunny shade of yellow. Paired next to black, white, and a hint of mint, it's the perfect choice for this focal point of the room.

Country Living
Even in the dead of winter this cozy sun porch would make me feel like I was smack in the middle of summer.

Happy decorating! 

Til next time,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment